The storm that buffeted the region Friday with heavy rain and stiff winds delivered nearly 2 inches of moisture to Ramona, according to the weather service at Ramona Airport.
As of early evening, the downpours had forced scattered minor mudslides, several downed trees and poles, and road closures across the county but had caused no reported significant damage.
In addition to the 1.86 inches of precipitation recorded at Ramona Airport Friday, the town received .2 inchesRain.DSC_0363.FEATURE
on Thursday and rain returned Saturday. Precipitation Friday ranged from less than one-tenth of an inch along the coast to more than five inches inland, according to the National Weather Service.
The weather service recorded 5.12 inches of precipitation at Palomar Observatory, 4.33 in Birch Hill, 3.28 at Henshaw Dam, 2.83 in Oak Grove, 2.68 in Valley Center, 2.22 in Julian, 2.05 on Volcan Mountain, 1.96 at Lake Cuyamaca, 1.94 in Santa Ysabel, 1.81 in Barona, 1.74 at Lake Wohlford and in Warner Springs, 1.66 on Mount Laguna, 1.29 on Otay Mountain, and 1.15 in Descanso.
Other totals included 1.81 inches in Fallbrook, 1.66 in Bonsall, 1.61 in Escondido, 1.43 in Oceanside, 1.09 in Rancho Bernardo, 1.05 in Poway, 0.9 in La Mesa, 0.84 in Carlsbad, 0.82 in Flinn Springs, 0.77 at Montgomery Field, 0.67 in Mission Valley, 0.62 in Solana Beach, 0.53 at Lindbergh Field, 0.49 at Brown Field and 0.36 in Harbison Canyon.
The showers — a rarity in recent months — ushered in some rainy-day mishaps on regional commuter routes.
Between midnight and noon on Friday, California Highway Patrol logged 236 accidents, compared with the 50-75 the agency generally handles over a full day of fair weather. The wrecks led to widespread congestion but resulted in no reports of serious injuries.
Showers and strong winds were expected to continue through the weekend.
Free sandbags are at:
• Ramona Fire Station, 3410 Dye Road.
• Cal Fire Station 50, 1587 Highway 78, Julian.
• Cal Fire Station 73: 28205 North Lake Wohlford Road, Valley Center.
• Pauma Valley-Rincon, Cal Fire Station 70: 16971 Highway 76, Valley Center.
• Alpine Fire Protection District, Station 17: 1364 Tavern Road, Alpine (Bags only).
• North County Fire Protection District, Station 4: 4375 Pala Mesa Drive, Fallbrook.
• Cal Fire Station 30: 17304 Highway 94, Dulzura.
• Bonita/Sunnyside Fire Department: 4900 Bonita Road, Bonita