Friday, Dec. 7—Paramedics transported three people by ambulance to UCSD Medical Center to be treated for high levels of carbon monoxide on Thursday.
At approximately 9:30 a.m., a 911 call came from the 24000 block of Highway 78 reporting a medical emergency involving a single patient who was possibly cardiac in nature, authorities reported.
Shortly after, a second person at the same household became ill, and the person making the 911 call became unresponsive to dispatchers, according to the report.
Units from Intermountain Fire & Rescue, Cal Fire, and San Diego County Sheriff’s Department arrived to find two patients with an altered level of consciousness outside the residence. Firefighters wearing self-contained breathing apparatus rescued a third person who had collapsed inside the home.
Monitoring equipment confirmed unusually high levels of carbon monoxide. Both the heater and air conditioning exhaust vents were clogged with acorns and debris. A carbon monoxide detector was in the residence, but it did not contain batteries.
The three patients were reported in stable condition as they were transported by ambulance from the scene.
“As we get into the winter months, it’s more critical than ever to make sure your heater is in good working order,” Capt. Brent Stephens of Intermountain Fire/County Fire Authority said. “Also, make sure your home has a carbon monoxide detector and check the batteries.”
Residents can contact San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) at 800-411-7343 to schedule a free safety inspection. Additional information about how to safely heat homes this winter is at sdge.com/furnace-safety.
California law requires that carbon monoxide detectors be installed in most homes. For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it, visit Cal Fire’s website.