A small grass fire between 11th and 12th streets burned less than two acres on Saturday afternoon and was extinguished within two hours, said a Ramona firefighter.
The fire occurred around 1:40 p.m. in a grass field behind a home between 11th and 12th streets and D and H. Abe Gonzales at Ramona Fire Station 80 said the fire was sparked when the homeowner was operating a riding lawnmower that struck an unknown item. No damage or loss was reported.
Ramona Fire Department and CalFire Prevention Bureau offer a list of tips to prevent fires caused by mowing in hot and dry weather. They
recommend mowing before 10 a.m. or after 6 p.m. and keeping the exhaust system, spark arrester and mower free of carbon buildup. The agencies also caution against striking rocks with metal blades, because this may start a fire.