Two losses keep boys soccer out of playoffs

Ramona High School boys soccer Coach Michael Jordan knew  that the Bulldogs would need to win at least one of their final three games to have an outside chance of a berth in the CIF  Division II playoffs.       

Ramona lost all three of those games, so the 2008-09 season ended with a three-game losing streak and a 6-14-1 overall  record, including a 3-9 Valley League mark.

“When we play well, we can hang with any team in the county,”  Jordan said.  “We just can’t do it for a full 80 minutes.”       

Ramona’s two-game winning streak ended Feb. 13 at Orange  Glen, and the Bulldogs’ final road game of the season took place  Feb. 17 at Westview.  

“Westview players go so deep, and they  just wear you down,” Jordan said.       

The Bulldogs nearly scored early in the 6-0 loss, but John  Randol’s shot hit the side post.  

The Wolverines led 3-0 at the  half.       

Ramona closed out its season Feb. 19 at home against San  Marcos.  The Knights had defeated Ramona on Jan. 27 at San  Marcos.  

“We really wanted the opportunity to avenge our loss,”  Jordan said.       

The Bulldogs’ final home game honored Ramona’s 10 senior  players, and the sportsmanship of the Knights allowed senior  Johnny Sorenson to take the kickoff before kicking the ball out  of bounds.  That allowed Sorenson to start in his final high  school game before limping off the field and spending the rest of  the match on the bench.  

“It was quite an emotional start to the  game,” Jordan said.       

Excluding that cameo appearance, Ramona was 4-2 when  Sorenson was in the lineup.  Senior Matt Legacy also started for  the Bulldogs but was not at full strength.       

The Knights scored two early goals on Ramona mistakes.  

“It  was the typical Jekyll and Hyde of our team,” Jordan said.       

Although San Marcos led 2-0 at halftime, Ramona outshot the  Knights by a 9-3 margin during the first half.  

Jordan’s halftime  speech addressed capitalizing on opportunities, but the Knights scored about 10 minutes into the second half for a 3-0 lead.

“Midway through the second half, we just started to play desperation soccer,” Jordan said.       

Ramona’s first goal midway in the half originated from a  Chris Huber throw-in while Michael Quilo was positioned behind a  San Marcos defender.

“Chris made a great throw-in over both of  them,” Jordan said.       

Quilo parlayed the pass into the score.  About three minutes  later, Huber took possession of a loose ball near the goal and put  a shot into the net to create a 3-2 score.       

About three minutes after that, Huber had a breakaway opportunity.  The Ramona team and the referee disputed whether  Huber’s jersey was grabbed by a San Marcos defender, but Huber made an off-balance shot and missed wide.  No red card or yellow  card was issued and no foul against San Marcos was called.  

“After that we were just kind of disheartened,” Jordan said.       



Be relevant, respectful, honest, discreet and responsible. Commenting Rules