Grossmont beats Ramona in CIF baseball semifinals
By Bill Tamburrino
Pitching was the name of the game, and Ramona’s CJ Broussard locked up with Grossmont High School’s Peyton Lindsay in a classic pitching duel in the semifinals of CIF Division I’s baseball playoffs at Rocky Lawler Field on Tuesday.
Both hurlers went the distance, and after seven innings Grossmont defeated Ramona 3-1 to earn the right to advance to the finals.
Ramona scored its lone run in the bottom of the first inning. Leadoff hitter Tanner Williams was hit by a pitch. Gage Canning advanced Williams to second with a sacrifice bunt. Broussard helped his own cause with an RBI single.
Broussard gave up three runs on five hits, struck out eight and walked four. Grossmont scored three runs in the top of the fifth. The rest of the frames were filled with goose eggs.
Lindsay limited the Dawgs to four hits and one walk.
Broussard had two hits. Gage Canning and John Mackay were the only other Dawgs to stroke singles.
The loss ends the best season ever for the Dawgs. The 26-7 record is the most wins and the highest winning percentage in school history.
The Dawgs finished the regular season ranked fourth in San Diego County. Ramona won the Valley League for its fifth league championship under Coach Dean Welch.
- Bulldog baseball reaches semifinals in Lions Tournament
- Ramona High baseball beats Orange Glen, goes against Del Norte this week
- Undefeated in league, Bulldog baseball to face Oceanside this week
- Ramona’s baseball team struggles at plate, beats Fallbrook, loses to Carlsbad and Westview
- Bulldog baseball beats No. 1-ranked Titans in North County Tournament
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=33859