Early morning fire guts residence on Mussey Grade

A studio/residence in the 15600 block of Mussey Grade Road was destroyed early Tuesday morning from a fire sparked by a burning candle, said the Ramona Fire Department/Cal Fire.

A 700-square-foot studio/residence on Mussey Grade Road was destroyed in a fire around 2 a.m. Tuesday, displacing one woman. Sentinel photo/Karen Brainard

The 700-square-foot home was occupied by a renter who was uninjured, but an 18-year-old cat perished from the blaze, said Apparatus Engineer/Paramedic Shawn Warcup.

The fire started around 2 a.m. and it took firefighters  about 20 minutes to extinguish it and another four hours to clean up, said Warcup.

“It’s a total loss,” he said, estimating damages at $75,000. The residence sits behind the primary house on the lot. The burning candle was on a dresser, he said.

Along with nine personnel from Ramona Fire Department and Cal Fire, San Diego County Sheriff’s Department and San Diego Gas & Electric responded to the scene, said Warcup.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the displaced renter, according to reports.

Related posts:

  1. Mussey Grade light fails to garner enough support
  2. Early morning accident
  3. Early morning fire at Kahoots damages two homes
  4. Ramona VFW honors firefighter/paramedic
  5. Firefighters to hold Boot Drive Wednesday morning for MDA

Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=30019

Posted by Karen Brainard on Dec 31 2013. Filed under Featured Story, News, Ramona, Sheriff/Fire. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Facebook

);