Water Dawgs beat Mavericks, fall to Lancers
By Joe Naiman
Ramona High School’s girls water polo team played a pair of road games, defeating La Costa Canyon at the Encinitas YMCA before losing at Carlsbad.
The win over La Costa Canyon Dec. 10 was by a 10-4 margin. Ramona had a 3-1 lead after the first period.
“That was a good start for us,” said coach Donnie Williams. “We started off pretty strong.”
The score was 4-1 at halftime. Although the Mavericks narrowed Ramona’s lead to 4-3 during the third period, the Bulldogs scored the quarter’s final two goals for a 6-3 advantage.
Cassie Bernas led the Bulldogs with four goals. Jocelyn Schwegler and Holly Smith each scored twice. Josie Ward and Paulina Bernd placed one shot apiece into the net. Ramona goalie Morgan Wallace made eight saves.
“That was a good win for us,” Williams said.
Carlsbad’s 17-8 win Dec. 12 included a 5-1 Lancers lead after the first period and a 10-5 cushion at halftime.
- Water Dawgs beat Mavericks, fall to Norsemen
- Water Dawgs fall to Wolverines, Lancers
- Water Dawgs beat LCC in playoffs before loss to Scripps Ranch
- Water Dawgs follow loss to Falcons with wins over Titans, Cougars
- Water Dawgs hold on to beat Steele Canyon
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=29752