Ramona’s Jewish congregation to celebrate Hanukkah
Congregation Etz Chaim will celebrate Hanukkah on Friday, Dec. 13.
Services led by Rabbi Leslie Bergson will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Rotunda of San Diego Country Estates, 16911 Gunn Stage Road.
This holiday frequently is referred to as the “Holiday of Lights.” It is the anniversary of an event that occurred in 165 BCE.
Hanukkah, the first struggle for religious freedom in the history of the world, represents the fight against totalitarianism in all forms. It therefore is a festival honoring liberty and freedom.
After the lighting of candles in a special candelabra with room for nine candles, the hymn “Rock of Ages” is sung. It is customary to give children foil-wrapped chocolate money and to serve fried foods such as potato pancakes during this holiday. All are welcome. For more information, call 760-789-2781.
- Jewish congregation to celebrate Purim
- Jewish congregation celebrates Purim
- Jewish congregation to hold Sabbath services in Ramona Town Hall May 7
- Jewish congregation continues 29-year tradition
- Yom Kippur, Jewish Day of Atonement, begins Friday evening
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=29400