Arraignment today for man accused of causing fatality on San Vicente Road
Friday, Sept. 6—A 19-year-old Lakeside man accused of causing a head-on crash in Ramona that left a 74-year-old Ramona man dead is scheduled to be arraigned at the El Cajon courthouse today.
Garrett Michael Sparks was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence shortly after the accident on San Vicente Road south of Warnock Drive about 7:40 p.m. Aug. 29, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Sparks told authorities he took his eyes off the road for at least 10 seconds while he was reaching for items that had fallen on his truck’s floorboard from its passenger’s seat, the CHP reported.
His 2007 Ford Ranger drifted into oncoming traffic at about 50 mph and stuck a 2000 Ford Ranger driven by Kenneth Frederick Crane of Ramona.
Crane was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple blunt force injuries, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office. Sparks was not injured.
Investigators determined alcohol was not a factor in the crash.
- Second San Vicente Road crash in week claims man’s life
- Ramona man, 74, killed in head-on collision on San Vicente Road
- Lakeside man, 19, faces vehicular manslaughter charge in 74-year-old Ramona man’s death
- Road fatality may be suicide
- Medical examiner releases name of Ramona woman killed in San Vicente Road crash
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=26944