Fires in Otay Mesa, off 78 east of Ramona
Friday, May 3—A wind-driven wildfire of unknown origin blackened swaths of open grassland south of Donovan State Prison today.
The fast-moving flames began spreading shortly after 2 p.m. near Alta and Otay Mesa roads, east of Brown Field airport and about a mile north of the U.S.-Mexico border, according to Cal Fire.
Within a half-hour, the blaze had grown to about 20 acres, said Ray Chaney, a battalion chief with the state agency. Ground crews and firefighting aircraft were dispatched to the area.
A salvage yard was potentially in the path of the fire, according to Chaney. There were no other known threats to real estate.
At about the time when the blaze broke out, another one was reported off State Route 78, east of Ramona. Personnel aboard an air tanker quickly extinguish the small “spot fire,” the chief said.
- Lightning fires spread through backcountry
- Firefighters extinguish Valley Center brush fire
- Wildfire prompts evacuations east of Julian
- Last of seven backcountry fires totally contained Sunday
- Lightning-sparked fires threaten backcountry transmission line, reports CalFire
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=23262