Sheriff’s homicide unit investigates death in Julian campground
San Diego County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the death of an unidentified person whose body was found inside a burned truck in the Vallecito Regional Park in Julian on Tuesday morning, Jan. 22.
The pickup truck and charred body were found by a San Diego County park ranger in the park’s campground at 37349 County Route S-2 (Great Southern Overland Stage Route of 1849). Lt. Glenn Giannantonio of the sheriff’s homicide unit said no campers were in the area and the truck appeared to have entered the campground during the night, as park rangers reported it was not there the day before.
Because the body was so badly burned, Giannantonio said the county medical examiner may have to try a DNA match, and they hope to have identification by Monday. The manner of death may take longer, he said, due to toxicology testing.
Authorities have identified the registered owner of the truck and are trying to locate him, said the lieutenant.
- CHP investigates Ramona woman’s death in Pine Valley
- Detectives investigate shooting death
- Detectives investigate 94-year-old woman’s death as possible homicide
- Homicide detectives investigate death on Robertson Street
- Officials rule 1 of 2 Santa Ysabel deaths a homicide
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=20603