School district seeks volunteers to tutor reading
Ramona Unified School District and OASIS (Older Adult Service and Information System) are seeking older adult and parent volunteers to help a child experience the joy of reading. OASIS reading tutors are paired with students in grades one through three, one-on-one, once a week for an hour.
No teaching experience is necessary, “just a warm heart and a desire to help a child experience the joy of reading.”
Training for the OASIS Intergenerational Tutoring Program is scheduled for Nov. 2 and 5, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. both days, in the district Board Room at 720 Ninth St.
Oasis is a national, nonprofit, education organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for mature adults.
“The gift of your time can make a world of difference for a child,” reads a statement about the program.
For more information or to sign up for the free training, contact Lyn Hardy at 760-787-4317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The training lessons, books, and materials are provided.
- School district seeks adult tutor volunteers in reading
- Ramona OASIS volunteers receive special recognition
- Program pairs high school tutors with younger students
- ‘Reading is everything,’ says Reading Teacher of Year
- School district plans to destroy some special education records
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=18207