Man pleads not guilty to infant murder, assault charges

Readiness conference July 18 for suspect in infant’s death

A man accused of fatally injuring an 8-month-old girl while babysitting the infant at a home in Ramona on Independence Day pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of murder and assault on a child causing death.

David Humberto Ortiz, 19, was ordered held on $1.5 million bail.

Ortiz is suspected of fatally injuring Liliana Velasquez in the 2600 block of Southern Oak Road shortly before 11:30 a.m. on July 4, said San Diego County sheriff’s Lt. Larry Nesbit. The infant died at Rady’s Children Hospital two days later.

An autopsy was ordered to determine the cause of death, but the report was sealed at the request of the Sheriff’s Department. Ortiz was arrested Monday.

Last week, Cal Fire spokesman Nick Schuler told reporters paramedics called to the home were responding to a report about a child who had fallen.

Ortiz, who faces 25 years to life if convicted of assault and 15 years to life if found guilty on the murder charge, will be back in court July 18 for a readiness conference and July 24 for a preliminary hearing.

Related posts:

  1. Babysitter, 19, jailed in infant’s death
  2. Man accused in fatal beating of 94-year-old neighbor pleads not guilty to murder
  3. Infant dies from injuries, investigation continues
  4. Ramona tax preparer pleads not guilty to 55 charges
  5. Former special ed teacher’s aide, 69, pleads not guilty to molestation charges

Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=15619

Posted by Maureen Robertson on Jul 12 2012. Filed under News, Ramona. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

1 Comment for “Man pleads not guilty to infant murder, assault charges”

  1. sandra j

    "Ortiz, who faces 25 years to life if convicted of assault and 15 years to life if found guilty on the murder charge…"

    what a crazy world we live in, eh?

Leave a Reply

Facebook

);