Christian Drews picked for U.S. Under-17 football team event
Ramona High School football player Christian Drews was selected to play for the 2012 U.S. Under-17 National Team, assembled by USA Football.
Team USA was representing the United States in Austin, Texas, from July 4-12, during a celebration and competition centered on football skill development and featuring international teams of players, age 17 and younger.
Drews, a 6-foot-1, 210-pound linebacker, also played as tight end and started on both sides of the ball for the RHS varsity football team as a sophomore in the 2011 season. He received All Palomar League Honors for both positions.
Drews also took part in the 2011 Under-15 National Team program in Canton, Ohio.
In the USA Football event, top players from across the U.S. compete against national teams from other countries. The event consists of cultural exchange through football, seven-on-seven exhibitions, multi-country joint practices and educational seminars for athletes and parents, led by NFL coaches, players and football experts.
Players were to be evaluated by U.S. National Team coaches through on-field instruction and film review, culminating with games to be played on July 12.
Players were considered for the team through nominations at www.usafootball.com and based on performances at U.S. National Team trials.
- Mount Carmel High School’s girls swim team defeated Ramona by a 113-57 score May 6 at the Bulldogs’ pool, but Coach Jolyn Yanez was more focused on her swimmers’ times than on the results of the races. “I was really happy with the results,” Yanez said. “We were looking for best times.”
- Football team honors team mom Lisa Lopez
- A preview of Ramona’s Bulldog football team
- Nine Bulldogs make all-league team
- Barona provides backdrop for 2011 Bulldog football awards
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=15542