Banner Fire 65 percent contained

(CNS) – Firefighters estimate that a wildfire that has blackened about 4,100 acres east of Julian in the Anza-Borrego Desert would be contained Wednesday.

As of Saturday night, the blaze was about 65 percent contained, or surrounded, with 918 firefighters on the job, according to Cal Fire.

Cal Fire officials estimated the cost to suppress the fire at about $575,000.

Firefighters used seven water-dropping helicopters to quench the flames due to the difficult and inaccessible terrain.

The blaze, which has caused no known structural damage or injuries, started in the Cigarette Hills area of eastern San Diego County, near Banner Grade, Thursday afternoon. Within two hours, it had grown to more than 1,000 acres, driven by steady winds out of the west. The cause, if known, has not been disclosed.

Shortly after the fire started, authorities evacuated people from about 100 Shelter Valley homes in its path. Those residents were allowed to go home Thursday night. About 50 people at the Stage Coach Trails RV Resort at the south end of Shelter Valley were evacuated Friday afternoon but the order was lifted later that evening.

The fire also prompted authorities to close parts of state Route 78 and Route S2 at times, but both are reopened.

Related posts:

  1. Banner fire 20 percent contained, scorches 2,500 acres
  2. Border fire 60 percent contained
  3. Great Fire is 65 percent contained
  4. Wildfire moves into desert; campground evacuated
  5. Wildfire prompts evacuations east of Julian

Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=14168

Posted by Maureen Robertson on May 27 2012. Filed under Backcountry, News, Sheriff/Fire. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

1 Comment for “Banner Fire 65 percent contained”

  1. Beatriz Sayles

    Thank you for the one-day old notice re 65% containment of the banner fire . Your news is the most up to date I have found. I wonder why there is no one who is willing to take the time to post what's happening with the fire so those of us who have relatives close to the fire can know what is happening. The day to day reporting of the fire is so important since as we all know, no one close to a fire is out of danger until the fire is actually all out.

Leave a Reply

Facebook

);