Sheriff’s air crew discovers body east of Iron Mountain
A sheriff’s crew in a helicopter making flyovers above rugged terrain in hopes of finding a missing La Mesa man on Monday discovered a body, the identity of which could not immediately be verified, reported sheriff’s spokeswoman Melissa Aquino.
The air crew spotted the corpse on the east side of Iron Mountain in Poway about 10:45 a.m., Aquino said. The Medical Examiner’s Office was called in to investigate and take custody of the remains.
It was not immediately clear if the body was that of 43-year-old Dan Hoff, whose whereabouts have been unknown for a week, according to Aquino.
Hoff’s mother reported him missing Thursday, three days after the last known sighting of him. On Friday, a patrol deputy found Hoff’s car parked at Poway Road and state Route 67, at the foot of Iron Mountain.
Searchers have been going through the hilly undeveloped area since Friday, aided by helicopter personnel and service dogs.
- Iron Mountain, Mt. Woodson, Cedar Creek Falls: Three hikes to take after you’re in shape
- Sheriff’s deputies continue search for armed robbery suspect
- Woman finds body on Woodson trail
- ASTREA rescues man from cliff
- Poway sheriff’s detectives nab Ramona cleaning woman for stealing jewelry
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=8841