Small gas fire prompts restaurant’s closure; Oaks Grille to reopen Thursday evening

By Karen Brainard

Update, 1:30 p.m., Dec. 15: San Diego Country Estates General Manager Mario Trejo reports that the Oaks Grille has been cleared by the fire and health departments and will be open and serving food  at 5:00 Thursday evening. The restaurant was temporarily closed this week following a small propane fire in the restaurant’s kitchen. Two gas leaks were repaired, said Trejo.

San Vicente Golf Resort’s restaurant, The Oaks Grille, has been closed this week after a man was burned from a small propane gas explosion while installing new grease fryers on Monday morning. San Diego Country Estates General Manager Mario Trejo said he hopes to have the restaurant open by Friday, Dec. 16.

Cal Fire/Ramona Fire Department firefighters head to the kitchen of the San Vicente Inn during the investigation of a small propane gas fire that occurred Monday morning while a grease fryer was being installed. One man suffered burns and was flown to UCSD Medical Center. Sentinel photo/Karen Brainard

According to Trejo, the burn victim was an employee of Pacific Rim Mechanical, the company installing the new fryers in the restaurant kitchen.

“As they were installing the equipment, there were two small propane gas explosions,” said Trejo.

San Vicente staff assisting with the installation responded immediately, using the Ansul kitchen fire system to extinguish the fire, said Trejo.

“The fires were put out within one minute of starting,” he said.

Staff called 911 and the sheriff’s and fire departments responded right away, Trejo noted.

Ramona Fire Department Capt. Janae Shoemaker said the burn victim was flown by Mercy Air to UCSD Medical Center with moderate burns on his upper body.

On Wednesday, Trejo said the man had been released from the hospital and was recuperating.

During an investigation, Trejo said, a couple of propane gas leaks were found so staff is working with Amerigas to ensure the lines are 100 percent safe. Amerigas has already repaired the leak in the main kitchen and was fixing a leak by the clubhouse swimming pool on Wednesday afternoon.

“They have been very responsive,” Trejo said of Amerigas.

San Vicente Inn’s Par Lounge is open but no food will be served until the restaurant reopens.

Trejo said he has worked with two groups to reschedule Christmas parties and will bring in an outside catering company to provide food for a Christmas party on Thursday night.

With inspections by the fire and health departments scheduled for Thursday, Trejo said he hopes to have Oaks Grille open on Friday.

No employees, customers or homeowners were injured, there was no substantial damage, and the kitchen has been thoroughly scrubbed, said Trejo.

Related posts:

  1. Caltrans changes SR-78 closure schedule; road open Thursday through Sunday
  2. AmeriGas agrees to acquire Heritage Propane
  3. Cal Fire increases staffing, equipment in preparation for high winds predicted to begin Wednesday evening
  4. Fire crews make quick work of Wildcat blaze
  5. Fire department invites public to open house

Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=8655

Posted by Staff on Dec 14 2011. Filed under Featured Story. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Facebook

);