Fernando Montijo celebrates 95th birthday
Some 60 family members and friends of longtime Ramona residents Fernando Montijo and his wife, Mercedes, celebrated Fernando’s 95th birthday at their Ramona home on Oct. 8.
Guests were treated to mariachis and an outdoor catered grilled dinner.
Montijo was born in Oakland, Calif., on Oct. 4, 1916. A World War II veteran, he served in Germany in the U.S. Army 75th Infantry Division.
After retiring from civil service in Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, Calif., after 20 years, he and his wife and family moved to San Diego County. That was 1979 and he worked for another 13 years with General Dynamics in San Diego.
During his time at General Dynamics, he designed and for the most part built their family home in Ramona by himself on weekends. The 3,000-square-foot California mission-style home took about six years to complete.
Still in good health, he and his wife said they have enjoyed a great life full of family and friends and look forward to many happy years ahead.
- Man of few words honored on 90th birthday
- Ransom celebrates 90 years of a ‘remarkable life’
- Witch fire victim returns home, celebrates with those who made it possible
- Library celebrates National Hispanic Month
- Jewelry World & Loan celebrates 25th anniversary with a three-day Hawaiian luau-themed party
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=7660