Freeway shooting suspect arrested

A 24-year-old man is behind bars in connection with an apparently random shooting spree on two San Diego-area freeways that left one motorist wounded, authorities said.

Enrique Ayon of Lancaster was taken into custody about on Tuesday during a traffic stop in Los Angeles County, according to the California Highway Patrol. Jail records showed Ayon was booked into San Diego Central Jail around 9 p.m. Tuesday on suspicion of attempted murder, assault, discharge of a firearm causing injury and shooting at an inhabited vehicle.

He could be arraigned as early as Thursday afternoon, according to jail records.

On Monday, the CHP identified Ayon as a person of interest in the four shootings that occurred on Interstate 805 and I-5 earlier in the day.

Authorities had with a license plate number and said Ayon was the registered owner of a white 2006 Chevrolet Malibu believed to be used in the shootings.

Shortly before the drive-by shooting rampage began, the Malibu, possibly carrying two men, was involved in a hit-and-run collision on East San Ysidro Boulevard, according to San Diego police.

A few minutes later, at about 10:30 a.m. Monday, the first firearm assault occurred on northbound Interstate 805, near East Plaza Boulevard in National City, said San Diego police Lt. Darryl Hoover. At least one bullet hit a car, but no one was hurt.

A short time later, gunfire erupted on Interstate 805 at Mesa College Drive in Serra Mesa, wounding a 26-year-old man, Hoover said. Medics took him to a trauma center for treatment of a non-life-threatening calf wound.

Within the next 15 or so minutes, two more shootings occurred on Interstate 805 near state Route 163, where a CHP officer was assisting a motorist, and on northbound Interstate 5 in the area of Del Mar Heights Road, according to Hoover. An ambulance apparently was targeted in the latter assault, he said. No one was injured in those attacks.

None of the victims reported having any type of contact or communication with anyone inside the Malibu before being shot at, according to Hoover, who said the crimes appeared to add up to “stranger-on-stranger” violence.

Preliminary evidence indicates the shot “were all from the same gun and of the same caliber, CHP Officer Art Athans told reporters.

Related posts:

  1. Authorities search for freeway shooting suspect
  2. Freeway shootings lead to road closures
  3. Suspect in Kmart shooting pleads insanity
  4. El Cajon shooting suspect was Ramona High student
  5. Cal Fire cautions public about target shooting

Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=6368

Posted by Maureen Robertson on Oct 5 2011. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Facebook

);