Grocery workers, stores reach tentative agreement on contract, avert strike

Averting a strike, negotiators for the union representing Southland grocery workers reached a tentative contract agreement Monday with the owners of Albertsons, Ralphs, and Vons/Pavilions, and the proposal will be presented to union members this week for ratification.

News of the agreement came as 62,000 Southern California grocery workers were poised to walk off the job. Officials from the United Food and Commercial Workers Union gave a 72-hour strike notice last Thursday, and a walk-out could have started as early as Monday.

Details of the agreement were not immediately released, but an update posted for members on the union’s website said the proposal “protects your health care.” The workers’ contract expired in March, but employees have continued working under the terms of the previous pact.

“We have attained our most important goal, which was continuing to provide comprehensive health care to the members and their families,” according to a statement by union negotiators. “The grocery workers of Southern California stood together, strong and united, throughout this long and difficult process. They refused to accept anything less than a contract that protects their wages, benefits and working conditions. We are proud of them.”

Officials with the three grocery chains issued a joint statement saying the tentative deal “continues to preserve good wages, secure pensions and access to quality, affordable health care — while allowing us to be competitive in the marketplace.

“We appreciate the hard work, support and patience that many different people have shown during the past eight months, and particularly the past few weeks.”

Health care was the major issue at the negotiating table. Grocery store officials said earlier that their most recent contact offer would require workers to pay about $36 per month for individual health insurance, or $92 per month for family coverage. But union officials said the companies were not increasing their contributions to the health care fund, insisting the plan would be bankrupt in about 16 months.

During a 141-day lockout in 2003-04, the stores hired temporary workers. The replacement workers all lost their jobs when a new contract was signed, and the lockout cost the stores an estimated $1.5 billion.

A vote on the proposed agreement is scheduled for Friday.

Related posts:

  1. U.S. Forest Service cancels contract for air tanker fleet
  2. School workers volunteer to cut pay
  3. ‘Strike Out Cancer’ benefit nets $1,500
  4. Governor negotiates pension reform
  5. Fire chiefs sign county contract, ’under duress’

Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=5929

Posted by Maureen Robertson on Sep 20 2011. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Facebook

);