‘Strike Out Cancer’ benefit nets $1,500

Members of the winning team in the “Strike Out Cancer” fundraiser at the Ramona Adult Softball fields for Justin Sturgeon are, front from left, Kim Bowen, Holly Courtland, Mike Din, Amanda Troiano and Kristen Sturgeon. Standing from left are Ray Bowen, Marcial Castrejon, Tyson Sturgeon, Dan Gwyn, Andrew Valles, John Schulte and Sherrie Schulte.

Four co-ed teams raised an estimated $1,500 at the “Strike Out Cancer” fundraiser held for Justin Sturgeon at the Ramona Adult Softball fields.

A Class of 1992 Ramona High School graduate, Sturgeon played baseball and soccer as a Bulldog and also is a former Padres bat boy.

Married with two young children and living in Ramona, he is battling brain cancer. Doctors removed about 95 percent of his cancer during surgery, he reports, and he was scheduled to have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) this week to be sure the remaining 5 percent has not grown. He requires MRIs every eight weeks for the rest of the year.

Sturgeon thanked all of those who volunteered to play in the benefit tournament. He also thanked Ramona Adult Softball Board members Jacob Zoria, Lance Webb and Michele Barrameda.

Related posts:

  1. Strike Out Cancer
  2. Ramona Adult Softball threatened
  3. 24-hour relay reminds participants ‘cancer never sleeps’
  4. Ramona teams top $111,000 for breast cancer cure
  5. ‘Fly Me to the Moon’ nets $25,000 for Intermountain Fire/Rescue

Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=4681

Posted by Karen Brainard on Aug 4 2011. Filed under Sports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Facebook

);