E Clampus Vitus unveils plaque to Ramona historical society
By Eddie Brisendine
Over 100 red shirt wearing members of E Clampus Vitus’s local chapter, “Squibob 1853,” attended a plaque dedication ceremony at the Ramona Pioneer Historical Society on Saturday.
The plaque commemorates and now stands in front of the Verlaque House, which is the centerpiece of the Guy B. Woodward Museum at 645 Main St. At 10:07 a.m., Noble Grand Humbug Ed Ketchem, a Ramona resident, began the dedication by thanking all the attendees and giving a special thanks to the ECV members who participated in erecting the monument and plaque.
Ken Woodward, director of the museum, then spoke to the crowd, thanking ECV for acknowledging the historical society and again thanking monument erection crew members for their hard work.
“The effort that ECV has given to get this plaque built needs to be recognized,” said Woodward, whose late father is the museum’s namesake. “They started planning this several months ago and worked hard to make it happen. When they finally began building it a few weeks ago, they had about 25 guys here working hard for three days. They are a great group of people.”
After Woodward, Squibob Historian Andy Davies gave the audience a thorough lesson on the Verlaque House, as well as the history of Ramona leading up to the construction of the house in the late 1800s.
E Clampus Vitus is a nonprofit fraternal organization dating back to the gold rush era. It was revitalized in 1931 to promote humanitarian and public help programs while maintaining a steadfast program of historical preservation.
- Historical society joins forest celebration
- CINCH meeting ends with museum tour
- Victorian High Tea in Verlaque parlor
- Museum reopens for 2008-09
- Museum displays antique china, tea sets to raise money
Short URL: http://www.ramonasentinel.com/?p=224